Category: Federal Funding

New York Is Urged to Pay Public’s Ballooning Utility Debt

ALBANY, N.Y.—At least 1.4 million households and other residential customers in New York are behind on electric and natural gas bills—a number that soared during the pandemic—and consumer advocates are calling on the state to pay off their ballooning debt with federal funding. In the spring of 2020, New York passed the nation’s only utility…


States Want a Huge Federal Top-Off to ‘Zuck Bucks’ for Future Elections, but They’re Already Sitting on a Pile

Drawing on research from a multimillion-dollar Mark Zuckerberg-linked initiative viewed as pivotal in the 2020 presidential election, 14 states carried by Joe Biden have appealed to him for billions of dollars more to secure elections for the next decade. But most of them have spent less than half their shares of previous federal funding to…


States Can’t Block Federal Funds for School Districts That Mandate Masks: Ed Sec

Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said Monday that public schools that impose mask mandates in defiance of state laws or executive orders can’t be denied federal funding, as the political battle over masking requirements in schools roils on. Cardona’s remarks, made in an Aug. 22 interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” come amid controversy over school…


Ottawa Announces $440 Million for Quebec Aerospace Industry

MONTREAL—Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is announcing up to $440 million in federal funding for Quebec’s aerospace industry. Trudeau told a news conference today in Montreal that coupled with money from Quebec, the package of government aid for the key sector of the province’s economy will total as much as $693 million. The prime minister says…


Stefanik Unveils Bill to Block Federal Funding for Colleges, Universities With CCP Links

Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) on Tuesday introduced a bill that seeks to block federal funding for American schools that have links with the Chinese regime.


Stefanik Proposal Would Block Federal Funding for Colleges, Universities With CCP Links

Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.) on Tuesday introduced a bill that seeks to block federal funding for American schools that have links with the Chinese regime.


City Steps Up to Help Struggling Anaheim Landlords

Anaheim landlords whose rentals have gone unpaid during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic can now turn to the city for financial help. Council has approved a local rental assistance program that provides landlords with up to 80 percent of unpaid rent for up to a year if they agree to waive the remaining 20 percent and not pursue evictions. It will begin…


Anaheim Considers Rental Forgiveness Program for Tenants and Landlords 

The City of Anaheim is proposing a local rental assistance program for landlords to receive 80 percent of unpaid rent for up to a year, if they agree to waive the remaining 20 percent and not pursue evictions. The rental assistance will provide coverage from April 2020 through March. The rent subsidy program was created for landlords who “are having a hard…


Orange County Launches Rental Assistance Program, But Some Renters Face Hurdles

As Orange County began rolling out $66 million in federal rent relief funding Feb. 1, a local advocate called for more support for Santa Ana’s struggling residents. “What we’ve been discussing is how inaccessible it is and how hard it is for tenants to have access to the Internet [to apply for aid],” David Carbajal, a…